Website Wildlife Conservation Society
The New York Aquarium Shark Internship is an in depth program for future Animal Care professionals that focuses on the essential skills and knowledge necessary to enter the competitive field of aquatic animal husbandry. This program offers hands-on experience in our ‘Ocean Wonders: SHARKS!’ exhibit caring for various shark, ray, sea turtle, and saltwater teleost species.
- Interns will understand concepts of aquarium system design, filtration, and water quality maintenance and problem solving.
- A large focus will be placed on animal husbandry including dietary needs, overall animal health and observations, operant conditioning, enrichment, quarantine procedures, and record keeping.
- Interns will learn the scientific concepts that are vital to keeping animals in an aquarium environment.
- Interns will complete reading assignments and conclude their internship with a project that will be presented to the animal care staff.
- Can make the schedule commitment outlines above with the ability to work weekends and holidays
- Proficiency in swimming
- Current college student or recent graduate
- Interest in pursuing a career working with sharks and rays
- At least 20 years of age
Qualification & Experience:
- Physically able to perform laborious tasks in extreme weather conditions
- Able to work well in a busy and fast-paced environment
- Be able to lift 50 lbs
- Provide one letter of recommendation (preferably from a previous animal care experience)
- Provide own housing and transportation
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Able to complete all daily tasks independently
Company: Wildlife Conservation Society
Vacancy Type: Internship
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Application Deadline: N/A