Website Wildlife Conservation Society
The Animal Care Associate assists in all aspects of marine mammal care and presentation at the New York Aquarium. This includes narrating our formal sea lion shows in our 1600 seat stadium, maintaining cleanliness and safety of all animal habitats, and basic animal handling. In addition to narrating shows, this individual also interprets exhibit feeds, which are partially scripted but also involve a free flowing, unscripted interaction with our guests.
- Monitor show and exhibit areas for cleanliness and safety
- Help to create a great guest experience, in accordance with WCS standards of guest service.
- Feed animals and do basic handling of sea lions during shows
- Assist Grounds staff in directing and seating guests prior to and after shows.
- Work outdoors for long periods of time in a variety of weather conditions.
- Maintain general knowledge of park attractions and amenities
- Assist the Behavioral Husbandry and Sea Cliffs teams in carrying out any additional operational duties
- Assist in basic cleaning and maintenance of mammal and bird areas, and food preparation areas.
- Maintain sound system equipment, stadium, stage and pool cleanliness.
- Provide educational, dynamic and enthusiastic narrations to small and large groups.
- Exceptional communication and public speaking skills
- Strong cardio fitness
- Ability to work and speak in front of large groups of people.
- Able to lift at least 50#
Qualification & Experience:
- Swimming skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and adapt quickly to changing conditions and schedules
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Basic animal handling skills
- Experience as an intern at a marine park preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and professional presentation and demeanor.
Company: Wildlife Conservation Society
Vacancy Type: Temporary
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Application Deadline: N/A