Website U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
This position is located in Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Foreign Disease-Weed Science Research Unit, on Fort Detrick in Frederick, Maryland. The incumbent is to conceive, plan, execute, and report research results involving emerging fungal pathogens of crops and ornamental plants.
- Graduate education must be directly related to the work of the position and must have equipped applicants with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for the GS-12 level of this position are: Experience conducting independent research related to the plant pathology in a laboratory
- AND greenhouse environment; and publishing independent research results in peer-reviewed related journals.
- Degree: plant pathology; or a related scientific discipline that included at least 20 semester hours in basic botany or plant science, and 10 semester hours in plant pathology. Graduate Education: must have been in plant pathology, or in one of the recognized subject-matter fields of plant pathology, or have followed a curriculum or pattern of training that placed major emphasis on plant pathology or one of the recognized subject-matter fields of plant pathology, such as those dealing with particular types of pathogens, diseases of particular kinds of crops, or chemical or biological controls. Graduate study in related fields such as microbiology, entomology, plant physiology, genetics, agronomy, horticulture, forestry, or chemistry may also be qualifying, provided it placed a sufficient amount of emphasis on plant pathology. Evaluation of
- Education: courses in botany, plant physiology, plant taxonomy, plant pathology, agronomy, forestry, horticulture, or similar subjects may be used to meet the 20-semester-hour requirement in basic botany or plant science.
- To meet the specific 10-semester-hour requirement in plant pathology, the courses must have been in plant pathology, or have dealt with specific subject matter areas of plant pathology such as those concerned with viruses, fungal or bacterial diseases, host-plant relationships, biotic or chemical controls, environmental or physiological diseases, parasitic diseases, etc. Additional Requirements:
Qualification & Experience:
- Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
- In addition to meeting the basic requirements described above, applicants must also meet additional qualification requirements as stated below.
- GS-12: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service or possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or possess an equivalent combination of graduate level education and experience.
Company: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Hagerstown, MD, US
Application Deadline: N/A