Website Duke Energy
We are one of the largest electric power holding companies in the United States, providing electricity to 7.7 million retail customers in six states. We have approximately 51,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity in the Carolinas, the Midwest and Florida – and natural gas distribution services serving more than 1.6 million customers in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and the Carolinas.
We are transforming our customers’ experience, modernizing our energy grid, generating cleaner energy and expanding our natural gas infrastructure to create a smarter energy future for our customers.
As part of the Digital Transformation organization, you will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, energetic, and high performing team helping to design cloud native applications and services to enhance the Customer experience. This group is nimble and creative and will shape our technology roadmap. You will be focused on developing well-designed, efficient code that adheres to the latest industry standards and assist in coding, testing, and debugging new software or making enhancements to existing software for customers. You will be working with designers, developers, and product owners in a small team setting to integrate software components into fully functional software systems spanning multiple business areas.
The Digital Transformation team is located at the Duke Energy Innovation Center at Optimist Hall with product teams delivering a wide-range of leading edge solutions. Read more about the Innovation Center at Optimist Hall.
Senior Software Engineers are primarily responsible for designing highly complex solutions then building and overseeing the execution of those designs.
- Design and build highly complex software solutions using agile/XP/TDD.
- Program well-designed, efficient code independently.
- Collaborate with designers, developers, and product owners to build solutions.
- Clearly communicate team wide progress and identify blocking processes/patterns that hold a team back.
- Participate in paired programming and code reviews with juniors to expand the team’s collective knowledge and understanding of software engineering.
- Complete independent research to refine best practices and present work to peers.
- Turn complex ideas into manageable pieces of work to complete as part of a product team.
- Coach and mentor software developers.
- Provide technical guidance to leadership so that solutions are built with innovation and sustainability in mind.
- Learn the business drivers of a product and help drive the technical direction of a product to fulfill the desired vision.
- A breadth of experience building software solutions (through a strong mix of independent research/projects and industry expertise).
- Five (5) or more years’ previous experience in software development. (Either 5 years of experience specifically in software development or three years of experience in software development in combination with 2 years alternative experience in a related field). Ideally has a portfolio of work – code samples, etc.
- Significant familiarity and comfort in using IDEs. Knows short-cuts and frequents operations that speeds up development time.
- Deep and solid understanding of APIs. Have been involved in designing/building/implementing APIs.
- Familiarity with a several frameworks. Resulting code is concise and easy-to-follow.
- Experience with automation and optimization. Looks for ways to create repeatable patterns that increase the efficiency of the team.
- Experience and ability to manage and optimize databases.
- Understanding of functional programming and how to apply functional concepts in any language. Quick to picking up a new language or adopting a more recent version of a language.
- Familiarity and able to comfortably work with multiple platforms.
- Experience turning complex ideas into user stories. From that, can turn user stories into workable solutions, providing estimates to complete that work, and breaking down complex work into smaller components.
- Previous experience collaborating on a cross-functional team.
- Deep understanding of development cycle.
Qualification & Experience:
- Two (2) year IT Technical or Associate’s degree and three (3) or more years of relevant work experience , OR five (5) years of related work experience without a degree
- Ability to debug and avoid future problems by building more robust solutions.
- Ability to look at previous personal or team experience and use this to analyze mistakes/successes, draw conclusions, and design future solutions. Resulting solutions have few bugs and quick remediation times.
- Experience building solutions with the larger team in mind. Solutions have the goal of improving software engineering at the team level.
- Experience with teaching and mentoring team members at various levels.
- A deep an solid understanding of cyber security principles such as authentication, authorization and encryption. Ability to leverage and recommend common security libraries applicable to their language stack and solid experience with secure programming best practices. Knowledgeable of common attack vectors, such as SQL injection, Denial of Service (DoS), Cross-Site Scripting, etc. and methods to limit exposure. Quick to identify and remediate potential security vulnerabilities.
- Experience working with one or more CI/CD stacks and associated best practices. Ability to setup CI/CD for new products with no guidance. Recommends and implements modifications to CI/CD processes when continuous improvement opportunities are identified.
Company: Duke Energy
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Charlotte, NC, US
Application Deadline: N/A