Website Duke Energy
The Senior Counsel – State Regulatory, Ohio position is responsible for providing legal guidance for issues arising in the Duke Energy Midwest region, mainly Ohio and potentially Kentucky. The position requires independent judgment and frequent client contact under general direction of the Deputy General Counsel. From time to time more discrete matters may be managed by an Associate General Counsel.
This Senior Counsel position provides high quality and timely legal advice and counsel in support of the business unit or legal practice area of specialty. Attorney-assigned responsibility for routine legal matters includes, primarily State Regulatory related issues, but also includes general corporate matters, contracts and transactions, and litigation. The role requires the candidate possess proficient oral and written communication skills and develop relationships with clients to ensure client communication and responsiveness. Demonstrate responsiveness and teamwork within the legal department. Develop knowledge of company and industry.
- Provides advice and counsel on Ohio and Kentucky regulatory policy
- Participates in, leads, and provides legal advice on a variety of state regulatory issues, including general rate cases and various rider proceedings
- Complex project management
- Stays abreast of legal developments, regulatory changes and court interpretations
- Interprets state laws, and Federal and State Regulatory Commission orders, rules and guidance documents
- Provides quality, timely legal advice to management for day-to-day matters and major ongoing legal projects that fall within the incumbent’s realm of expertise.
- Consults with Associate General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel on legal issues with significant value, or which may have economic, political or media implications for the Company.
- Provides counsel to corporation on Ohio and Kentucky state regulatory matters to ensure compliance with state regulations
- Independently manage case load
- Contributes to projects of significant importance to the Company from a risk, monetary or policy perspective. Works with and at the direction of the leader in the department.
- Understanding of electric utility industry and challenges
- Experience with Accounting
- Basic understanding of electricity production
- Previous experience in rate cases or rider proceedings before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, or similar state commission
- Experience with state regulation and government affairs for public utility companies
- Two or more years’ experience practicing in the area of administrative/ regulatory law
- Experience interacting with state agencies on compliance matters
- Experience with utility rate-making
- Licensed to practice in Ohio
- Previous experience handling investigations or litigation matters
- Litigation experience, including experience drafting legal pleadings, motions, and briefs.
- Experience with environmental issues
- At least five (5) years of experience practicing law in the area of Ohio state regulatory law or complex litigation
Qualification & Experience:
- Five (5) or more years of experience practicing law in the area of state regulatory law
- Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in Ohio and/or Kentucky or Licensed to practice in any state in the US and eligible for comity
Company: Duke Energy
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Columbus, OH, US
Application Deadline: N/A