Website SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment
An Aviculturist 1 is responsible for all aspects of daily care of our avian collection. They proficiently perform daily husbandry tasks, including administering vitamins and medications as directed, preparing food, and maintaining a safe and sanitary working area for all animal habitats. You will also help ensure guest, personal, and animal safety through diligent observation and response to any behavioral precursors of potentially harmful behavior by both animals and people.
- Assists with tours, interactions and education programs.
- Prepares diets and assists with daily feeding, monitors food intake.
- Assists with upkeep of monthly food inventories/reports and egg logs.
- Demonstrates moderate knowledge of avicultural skills, bird biology and natural history while performing daily duties and following department SOP’s.
- Learns and assists with various methods of bird banding.
- Conducts inventories and observations of birds daily and notes individual/population trends.
- Monitors mechanical systems of the various exhibits (i.e., lighting, incubator, hatchers…etc)
- Maintains detailed and legible records and assists with upkeep of band records/individual records.
- Cleans, maintains, and enhances exhibits and support areas and works on team/individual projects.
- Work with animals on basic behavior techniques and behavioral modification techniques with limited animals and under supervision.
- College background in psychology, zoology or biology preferred
- Minimum of eighteen (18) months aviculture experience in professional zoological setting
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Qualification & Experience:
- Ability to attain CPR certification
- Basic math abilities
- Ability to complete all legal, company, and department training requirements
- Ability to stand, walk, and work for prolonged periods of time in extreme weather
- Scheduling flexibility
- Ability to frequently lift, pull, and push 50 pounds
Company: SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Antonio, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A