Website San Diego Zoo Global
Overseeing a specific segment of business, the Merchandising Manager is responsible for planning, developing, selecting, managing and purchasing goods that are sold in retail gifts shops at the San Diego Zoo, Safari Park, and online store, Shopzoo.com. Merchandise Managers are responsible achieving quarterly and annual sales budgets through strategic, well managed assortments and inventory levels. This position reports to the Director of Corporate Merchandise Planning.
- Ensures the timely delivery of products, compliance with the contracts of purchase, and solves any problems that may arise with the merchandise and/or supplier.
- Partners with vendors, manufacturers, designers to procure and develop brand right custom merchandise. Evaluates vendor options by negotiating price, quality, service, terms, discounts, etc. to determine the best choices for the organization. Forges and maintains vendor relationships.
- Builds and sustains influential and collaborative partnerships cross-functionally to achieve Corporate Merchandising financial objectives.
- Formulates quarterly core and seasonal assortment based on trends and opportunities in alignment with top line plans to meet key metrics (sales, margin, turn).
- Manages and develops assigned Merchandise Buyer, including performance management.
- Conducts in-season execution and review of itemized assortment plan. Achieves monthly targets through forecasting and open to buy management while adhering to action calendar.
- 2+ years prior experience in merchandise buying, retail, or similar role
- Demonstrated ability to work well in diverse team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills while tailoring messages to the appropriate audiences.
Qualification & Experience:
- Current valid California Driver’s license in good standing
- Bachelor’s Degree In business administration, merchandising, marketing, art, or a related field
- Demonstrated aptitude in effective negotiating.
- Must be a self-starter with analytical approach. Works well under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Must possess a comprehensive understanding of retail math including sales trends, sell thrus, turn, initial mark up, gross margin.
- Prior management experience preferred
Company: San Diego Zoo Global
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A