The Media Systems team develops a suite of cloud-scale tools that are used to ingest and transform the content for the Netflix streaming service. We define ingest specifications for audio, video, and timed-text content sources; develop tools for inspecting ingested sources for any errors, audio/video/text processing, packaging, encryption (DRM), and output stream verification; participate in standardization forums such as SMPTE and W3C Timed Text Working Group (TTWG); as well as open-source software (OSS) development activities. The diversity of formats in our ever-expanding catalog necessitates the need for in-depth technical analysis of our source and output files.
- Collaborates cross-functionally with Netflix studio teams to define and integrate new ingest specifications and adopt the best media formats for studio workflows.
- Collaborates cross-functionally with Netflix client teams to deploy and test new streaming formats and technologies.
- Participate in standardization activities on media systems technologies and working groups such as SMPTE, W3C, Alliance for Open Media (AOM), and MPEG.
- Develops libraries and services for parsing, inspecting, and authoring various media formats, including studio and source formats like Quick time Pro Res and SMPTE IMF, streaming delivery formats such as ISOBMFF/mp4, and timed-text formats like TTML and Web VTT.
- You are incremental in your approach to software development and take full responsibility for the quality of your code and end-to-end testing.
- You are skilled in OO programming (e.g., Java or Python). You have a strong passion for software development and you constantly strive towards becoming a better software engineer – employing the right techniques for the problem at hand.
- You exhibit leadership abilities and flexibility – you like to work hands-on and self-directed in a fast-paced, freedom and responsibility environment and make objective decisions with the goal of fostering Netflix business.
- You are creative – you thrive in a setting that empowers you to go out of the box and apply your expertise to seek big technical challenges.
Qualification & Experience:
- You have in-depth experience with multimedia compression, delivery, playback, and processing systems.
- You are experienced in cloud-based infrastructures such as AWS or GCP, and container systems such as Docker.
- You have a demonstrated track record in building large-scale, resilient distributed services.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Oakland, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A