Website National Park Service
An initial cut-off date of October 15, 2021, 11:59 pm (EST), has been established to review and refer the first group of qualified applicants. If no selection is made from the first cut-off list, applications thereafter will be pulled with cut-off dates being the last day of the month for employment consideration. The announcement is scheduled to close on March 25, 2022, but may close sooner if selections can be made from earlier cut-off dates.
- The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster.
- The incumbent provides technical expertise for helicopter operations, instructs fire and aviation related courses as qualified, and performs other duties as assigned. Assists in develop of programmatic aviation plans, project aviation safety plans, and other fire and aviation planning documents.
- As necessary serves as the alternative or primary Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) and Project Inspector (PI).Responsible for acquisition, aviation budget, inventory, monitoring and maintenance of helicopter support vehicles, manages permanent and temporary helibases, equipment and accessories, aerial ignition equipment, personal protective equipment, etc.
- The exclusive use helicopter program may also provide the same services for other national parks and interagency operations and support cooperative work with other federal, state, and local authorities. The wide variety of helicopter operations managed by the incumbent requires flexibility and the skill to balance competing priorities.
- Ensures all Bureaus, Department, FAA, NTSB, and OSHA safety regulations and policy are strictly enforced for helicopter, suppression and project activities.
- This is a Career-Seasonal position and subject to release and recall procedures. Selectee will be in a non-pay/non-duty status for at least 2 weeks and up to 6 months per year based on project requirements or weather conditions. This position is guaranteed to be in a paid status for at least13 pay periods. It is anticipated that you will be in a paid status for 20 pay periods and in a non-paid status for 6 pay periods. Non-pay/non-work for this position is expected to be November through March of every year. It is anticipated that you will be in a paid status for the remainder of the year. When your services are not required due to lack of work, lack of funds, weather conditions or for other reasons, you will be placed in a non-work/non-pay status. You will have the option to continue your health coverage while in non-pay status.
- The Assistant Helicopter Program Manager of the Alaska Western Area Fire Management program is primarily responsible for daily operations of the Fire Exclusive-use helicopter under the direction of the Helicopter Program Manager. Duties include wildfire initial attack, extended attack, fuels management, fire ecology, other all-risk incidents including search and rescue, resource helicopter operations, contract administration, and record keeping.
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- You will be required to submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test result prior to appointment. In addition, this position is subject to random testing for illegal drug use.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
- Work may require travel by fixed-wing or rotor wing aircraft.
- You will be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver’s license is required.
Company: National Park Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Denali, AK, US
Application Deadline: N/A