Website National Park Service
The main purpose of this position is to perform building and utility maintenance and operation duties utilizing journeymen to master level knowledge and skills in several trades and crafts. Specialized Experience performing building maintenance, utility maintenance, and system operation duties, in historic buildings and sites.
- Performs carpentry and painting duties with little oversight and/or review of work during progress or upon completion. Paints, decorates, and refinishes a variety of interior and exterior surfaces of offices and buildings.
- Perform and oversee a variety of routine preventative maintenance actions for HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems.
- Install, overhaul, repair, clean, test, troubleshoot, calibrate, upgrade and modify, electrical, electronic and mechanical equipment, circuits and components related to historic buildings.
- Serve as a Maintenance Mechanic performing the most difficult installation, maintenance and repair of equipment and historic buildings.
- Installs, modifies, and repairs new and existing utility, supply, and disposal systems and equipment such as sewage, water, oil, and gas distribution systems and water closets, tubs, fire sprinkler system, and showers, and lay out of such things as angles, arcs, and circles.
- Perform carpentry and painting work on historic buildings.
- Perform work with little to no supervision.
- Operating, installing, repairing, and maintenance of several types of HVAC systems and controls with a variety of components. Heating system includes forced air hot water, forced air direct expansion, electric radiator, hot water radiator and geothermal. Cooling systems include forced air chill water and forced air direct expansion.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver’s license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver’s license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver’s licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver’s license.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- S. Citizenship required.
Company: National Park Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Washington, DC, US
Application Deadline: N/A