Website County of Los Angeles
Dispatches ambulances, vans, and other vehicles to transport patients to and from County and non-County hospitals and institutions.
- Participates as a member of the Departmental Operations Center as needed in the event of a major emergency or disaster.
- Communicates with doctors, nurses, and other hospital staff to confirm or verify instructions in the transport of patients.
- Determines which calls to assign private ambulance companies, considering such factors as the patient’s diagnosis, the trip distance, the availability of County ambulances, the total number of patients scheduled for transportation, and the need to utilize County ambulances to transport several patients on each trip.
- Decides whether or not to have a patient picked up by an ambulance en route by reviewing the routes and departure times of ambulances to estimate if any are near the patient’s location and notifies the crew of an ambulance in the vicinity to pick up the patient.
- Selects and notifies the private ambulance company for each assignment, maintaining a reasonable distribution of ambulance orders among the private ambulance companies under contract to the County.
- Dispatches County or private ambulances to a breakdown or accident involving a County ambulance, or other transportation vehicle when necessary and sends a tow truck for the disabled County vehicle.
- Receives, writes, sorts, and time stamps calls for the transportation of patients to and from County and non-County hospitals and institutions by ambulance or van for admittance, outpatient clinic appointments, discharge, and the transfer from one building to another at a County hospital.
- Determines which patients to transport separately and the priority for picking up patients at hospitals, convalescent care facilities, and patients’ residences for transportation by ambulance to a County hospital for admittance, based on consideration of diagnoses ranging from less severe to more critical such as diabetic coma, drug overdose, or accident injuries.
- Performs data entry and utilizes computer equipment.
- Trains dispatchers and other related personnel in the dispatch of ambulances, vans, and other vehicles to transport patients to and from County and non-County hospitals and institutions.
Qualification & Experience:
- Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) certificate*.
- A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
- One (1) year of experience at the level of Ambulance Medical Technician* providing assistance to patients being transported to and from hospitals or other medical facilities.
- Experience in computer data entry.
- Experience dispatching ambulances utilizing Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) software.
- Any additional experience in excess of the Minimum Requirements.
Company: County of Los Angeles
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A