Website University of California San Diego
The Graphic Designer will work in close collaboration with faculty, researchers, and research development personnel to plan, prepare, design, and execute compelling, visually appealing graphics for funding proposals and related research communications. While graphics and layout for proposal development will comprise the majority of work, development of publications, presentations, online materials, and other communications will be performed as bandwidth allows. Graphics produced will include professional-quality illustrations, layouts, charts, and diagrams that originate from investigators’ descriptions and rough sketches to enhance proposal submissions to extramural funding agencies and related audiences.
- Advanced interpersonal communications skills, including active listening skills and skills to work effectively within teams and to effectively provide advanced design advice and consultation to clients on all aspects of visual communications. Proven ability to exercise tact, mature judgment, diplomacy, and flexibility to promote positive working relationships and job effectiveness.
- Proven ability to multi-task and handle small to large multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities. Ability to prioritize and organize projects and work flow with a high level of professionalism, using initiative, sound judgment, and paying strict attention to detail, to produce publications to meet strict and competing deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of design and communications concepts and applicable software applications. Proven experience in communicating complex technical information through illustrations, diagrams, and other design techniques to satisfy the needs of the client.
- Understanding of scientific concepts to effectively produce visually appealing proposals and presentations. Demonstrated experience with scientific illustration.
- Experience finding, preparing, and editing photos, illustrations, and other graphics for print use.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills to verbalize issues clearly and concisely and gather information through appropriate consultation with a wide variety of constituents in person, on the telephone, via email or in other venues as appropriate.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in use of various digital and print tools: illustrating, web design and drafting computer programs, including: Adobe Creative Suite programs (e.g., Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop), Microsoft Office programs (e.g., PowerPoint, Word, Excel), and preferably map tools (e.g., Google Earth).
Qualification & Experience:
- Strong skills in collaboration to best meet project goals and objectives of clients. Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and follow direction/input from supervisory/editorial/support staff members and clients to complete projects as prescribed.
- Advanced design, creative and artistic skills. Advanced experience in graphic design and desktop publishing, including developing graphics and layouts for print publications, Web pages, and other formats.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, plus five years experience, or equivalent combination, in coordination and production of publications.
Company: University of California San Diego
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A