Nordstrom is a specialty retailer offering the very best in fashion and customer service since 1901. We live by five simple values that guide how we work together day-to-day and how we deliver data science products. We are customer-obsessed, owners at heart, curious and ever-changing, we extend ourselves to our peers and our customers, and we’re here to win!
At Nordstrom, we apply Data Science across a complex and rapidly evolving retail landscape to develop innovative new business processes and improve the customer experience in our stores and online. Our data science teams are composed of interdisciplinary contributors with a broad scope who work in an energizing and collaborative atmosphere. We deliver predictive models to identify and prevent fraud; design the machine learning-driven search and browse algorithms that power our site; and create inventory forecasts that drive purchasing decisions at the core of our business.
The ideal Data Science Manager is passionate about applying research and data science to drive improvement and innovation in the retail space. Successful managers in this role are critical thinkers, exceptional communicators, and outstanding data scientists.
- Extend yourself to the team through coaching and mentorship. Specifically, apply accountability tools and frameworks to help staff manage project complexity and make trade-offs, time box open-ended work, create project phases with increasing complexity, and define incremental deliverables along the way.
- Lead an interdisciplinary team of data scientists who work across a broad range of business functions including personalization, operations, marketing, and fraud prevention. Success requires curiosity and a keen interest in a variety of business functions and a desire to learn how those functions interplay.
- Support hiring, on-boarding, and career development for staff as well as day-to-day project management.
- Develop team best-practices, facilitate cross-functional information sharing and discover opportunities for cross-team collaboration throughout the broader Analytics organization.
- Engage broadly with Analytics Program Managers to frame, structure, and prioritize business problems. Build relationships with our business partners and engineering collaborators to develop test strategies and find the quickest delivery paths.
Qualification & Experience:
- Track record of storytelling with data, specifically supporting data-driven decisions with compelling visualizations using tools like Tableau, seaborn / Altair, and/or ggplot2 / shiny.
- Fluency in statistics and machine learning including familiarity with design of experiment, exploratory data analysis, regression approaches, decision trees, neural networks, collaborative filtering, unsupervised learning, and clustering.
- 3+ years of professional experience with Python, Git, and Amazon Web Services.
- 3+ years of professional experience using SQL.
- Ability to communicate technical data science and engineering topics to any audience. Specifically, must have an aptitude for breaking down complex technical topics for mixed audiences with mixed levels of technical expertise.
- Experience with Agile workflow practices and familiarity with Atlassian tools including Jira, and Confluence.
- 3+ years hands-on work experience in data science or analytics.
- Professional experience mentoring and developing analytical talent.
- 1+ year of management experience.
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, or other applied science, or equivalent education and experience required.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Seattle, WA, US
Application Deadline: N/A