Website State of California
May be required to work rotating or irregular shifts including weekends; may require work at considerable elevations over land or water from a swinging stage or platform (scaffolding); may require the safe installation and movement of scaffolding; and may oversee the work of a group of non-State workers or community service workers.
- This is the entry and journey level in the landscape maintenance specialty. Entry is typically from outside State service or from the Service Assistant (Maintenance) class. Incumbents maintain functional and landscape plantings; perform weed control and soil sterilization work; operate specified vehicles requiring a Class C driver license, such as light trucks, automobiles, highway maintenance, construction, or landscape equipment; and do other related work.
- Incumbents may also be assigned to perform nonequipment operation duties normally assigned to the class of Caltrans Highway Maintenance Worker as part of their normal assignment.
- Incumbents operate vehicles requiring a Class B commercial driver license with a tank vehicle endorsement and operate and service specified equipment used in highway maintenance, structures maintenance, emergency service, landscape, or construction. When not operating the specified equipment, may perform any of the duties outlined under Caltrans Highway Maintenance Worker or Caltrans Landscape Maintenance Worker; and do other related work.
- Incumbents operate vehicles requiring a Class A commercial driver license with a tank vehicle endorsement and operate and service specified equipment used in highway maintenance, structures maintenance, emergency service, landscape, or construction. When not operating the specified equipment, may perform any of the duties outlined under Caltrans Equipment Operator I, Caltrans Highway Maintenance Worker, or Caltrans Landscape Maintenance Worker; and do other related work.
- Knowledge of: Operation and care of automotive equipment including light trucks; minor construction, repair, and maintenance work; and basic safe work practices to protect their own safety and health and that of others.
- Ability to: Communicate and follow directions at a level required for successful job performance; do heavy manual labor; and keep records.
- Knowledge of: In addition to knowledge listed for all levels, provisions of the California Vehicle Code applying to the operation of vehicles; regulations and safety practices; highway or structure maintenance procedures; highway, structure, emergency service, or landscape maintenance and construction equipment including operation, servicing, minor adjustment, and emergency repairs to such equipment; the safety and health policies and procedures contained in the Department’s Injury and Illness Prevention Program; and knowledge of basic safe work practices.
- Skill in: Operating highway, structure, and emergency service equipment, making minor adjustments and emergency repairs to such equipment.
- Ability to: In addition to abilities listed for all levels, assist in work relating to the maintenance of highway, structure, and landscaped areas.
Qualification & Experience:
- One year of experience in the California state service performing the duties of a Service Assistant (Maintenance).
- One year of experience in general laboring work in construction or maintenance. (Education equivalent to completion of the eighth grade may be substituted for the required experience.)
- l. Two years of experience in the California Department of Transportation performing the duties of a Service Assistant (Maintenance) including training in and operation of highway maintenance or construction equipment. or
- 2. One year of experience within the last five years (this time limitation is extended for a period equivalent to that spent in recognized military service during the last five years) in operating highway construction or maintenance equipment or in operating light trucks requiring a Class B commercial driver license. or
- 3. Possession of certification as a Heavy Equipment Operator Technician from a college or university accredited by the California Superintendent of Public Instruction, or a college or university approved by the Bureau on Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education, under the provisions of California Education Code Chapter 3, Part 59, Division 10.
Company: State of California
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A