Website State of California
This series describes electrician classifications utilized by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) in conjunction with the maintenance and operation of State transportation facilities. Positions in this series may perform or supervise the installation, maintenance and repair of all types of electric and electronically controlled devices on facilities including but not limited to: traffic signals, ramp meters, toll bridge electrical and electronic devices, highway and tunnel lighting, pumps, ventilation equipment, illuminated signs, motors, generators, and devices associated with maintenance-related buildings (shops, roadside rests, etc.); and do other related work.
- This is the learner and first working level of the series. In the field and on toll bridges under supervision, incumbents assist in the installation, construction and repair of less complex electrical and electronic devices on facilities.
- This is the first journey level for the series. In the field and on toll bridges, incumbents independently or with others install, repair and maintain a wide variety of electrical and electronic devices on facilities.
- This is the full journey level for the class. Under direction, incumbents are responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of the most complex electric and electronically controlled devices on facilities. Incumbents may also perform lead work over lower level electricians.
- This is the full supervisory level. Incumbents assign work; evaluate performance; promote and enforce safety rules; develop, maintain and review appropriate reports; and perform the more complex technical electrical or electronic work.
- Knowledge of: Theory of electricity and electronics; basic terminology, principles, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical and electronic equipment, including solid-state circuits and transistors; safety precautions while working with electricity, including the National Electric Code, the Electrical Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety, and CAL/OSHA safety and health regulations.
- Skill in: (Separate description listed under each level.)
- Ability to: Communicate at a level required for successful job performance; follow directions; work with hand tools; read electrical schematic drawings and construction blueprints; analyze situations and adopt effective courses of action.
Qualification & Experience:
- An Associate or Certificate of Arts Degree in Electrical or Electronic Technology.
- Graduation from an electrical or electronic trade school approved by the California Department of Education (or similar agency for out-of-State schools, including military electrical or electronic trade schools). and One year of experience in the installation, construction, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment and electronic control devices.
- (In regard to the education requirements of the above patterns, students who are within six months of graduation will be admitted to the examination, but must present evidence of graduation prior to appointment.)
Company: State of California
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A