Website Busch Garden
The Camp Counselor position is primarily responsible for supporting and implementing all camp programs, including day camp, resident camp and sleepover programs. This includes working directly with instructors on the implementation of programs and curriculum they have developed and assisting in the evaluation of camp programs. The position focuses on implementing camp programs including meeting program objectives, teaching programs in an engaging and age-appropriate manner, and following all safety procedures to ensure the overall safety and well-being of our campers.
- Serve as a positive role model for children and other park guests by adhering to company standards on wardrobe, conduct, safety, cleanliness, and timeliness at all times.
- Participate in camper evaluations, follow-up paperwork and daily/weekly reports.
- Responsible for the overall safety/well-being of campers in the park, and during off-site field trips.
- Become familiar with each camp’s roster to prepare in advance for upcoming campers’ needs.
- Assist with teaching classes and implementing of games and activities.
- Provide guidance to campers keeping them on task and behaving appropriately.
- Prepare materials for daily camp programming.
- Teach and implement assigned camp curriculum in an effective and timely manner.
- Perform general scheduling, clerical duties, paperwork, and office work pertaining to the operations of Adventure Camps.
- Assist in maintenance and inventory of all Camp supplies and equipment.
- Knowledge of camp rules / operations, getting around the park or any field trip sites.
- Anticipate and willingly participate in designated camp duties: activity materials and equipment set-up and breakdown, classroom set-up and clean-up, team-building exercises, etc.
- Must be able to engage, motivate and interact with children and adults.
- Experience working at an American Camping Association accredited facility preferred.
- Comfort in being able to operate independently with minimal supervision while maintaining high level expectations for performance.
- At least 18 years old.
- Must have either an associates or bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or be in active pursuit of degree if not completed at time of employment. Course work in recreation or education preferred.
- Minimum six months experience working with children in a camp or educational setting preferred.
- Must be proficient in talking on a microphone to large crowds of campers.
Qualification & Experience:
- CPR and Lifeguard certification at time of hire preferred.
- Must be willing to comply with and ensure team members comply with all Company grooming guidelines and employment standards.
- Must be capable of working in all weather conditions, indoors/outdoors, with or without heat or A/C.
- Previous public speaking experience, teaching or camp counselor experience, or theatrical or stage performance experience preferred.
- Requires availability to work non-standard shifts/hours based on business need 9including nights, weekends and holidays). Must be able to work entire duration of season.
- Multilingual preferred.
- Must be able to complete all federal, state, legal, company and department training requirements to include but not limited to passing required tests and certifications within established timelines.
- Ability to maintain composure and objectivity in high pressure situations. Requires working well with peers in a team setting.
- Action-oriented and consistently demonstrates appropriate methods and strategies to take action in unstructured situations even in the absence of clear direction.
Company: Busch Garden
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Job Location: Williamsburg, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A