To assist B&Q in identifying and appropriately and proactively managing legal risk. You will do this by providing proactive and reactive legal advice and general legal support in corporate and commercial matters including by management and delivery of: commercial contract negotiation and drafting; data protection advice, commercial and dispute resolution advice; advice in relation to IP protection and disputes; and seeking external counsel’s advice where necessary. You will also develop, deliver and manage tailored continuous improvement solutions and support senior leadership in reviewing and advising on strategic initiatives to ensure legal compliance.
- Assisting in the planning, managing and delivery of efficient, pragmatic, and commercial legal advice to designated areas of the business.
- Providing advice in relation to disputes/pre-litigation issues, relationship structures, and advertising and marketing activities to minimise risk and protect B&Q’s interests.
- Assist the business to manage legal risk by:
- Continuous improvement.
- Supporting internal Governance by advising the designated business areas on delegated authorities and contributing to
- Board reports.
- contracts, strategic commercial projects, and data incidents.
- Assisting B&Q’s Managing Counsel with commercial litigation and dispute management.
- Supporting B&Q’s Managing Counsel on a wide variety of transactions and activities including supply
- Efficiently managing external counsel where advice cannot be provided by the in-house team, including tendering work, agreeing, and monitoring budgets, and overseeing work.
- Assessing, advising upon, and drafting GDPR requirements for a wide range of services and projects.
- Assisting with the management of B&Q’s Trademark and Domain Name portfolio.
- The preparation, negotiation, and interpretation of commercial contracts in a retail context (primarily with suppliers).
- Confidence in dealing with the broad range of issues on which in-house lawyers advise, without external firms.
- Capable of working under pressure, in an exceptionally fast paced and changing environment.
- Excellent drafting skills and experience, and a willingness to apply those to new situations and areas of law.
- Collaborative, relationship-builder, and pro-active in style.
- Ability to balance of the needs of internal and external customers and ensure the customer is at the forefront of thinking.
- Strong user of Outlook, Word and case management systems and willingness to work with Excel as and when required.
- Willingness to develop experience in continuous improvement / efficiency approaches in delivery of in-house legal support.
- Occasional travel to London (mainly Kingfisher’s Paddington office) required
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister, registered to practice in the UK
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, ability to identify solutions and give correct, clear and pragmatic advice.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience in commercial contracts (particularly procurement both of services and goods)
- Experience in advising on and drafting in relation to GDPR.
- Ideally experience in a retail or similar environment.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Legal
Job Location: Birmingham, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A