Website University of California San Diego
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at UCSD is the most comprehensive orthopaedic group in San Diego, offering the full spectrum of subspecialties including hand/elbow/shoulder, foot/ankle, spine surgery, joint replacement, arthritis surgery, orthopaedic oncology (bone and soft tissue/muscle), physical medicine and sports medicine.
Under the direction of the Sports Medicine Department and the Athletic Trainer Supervisor, the athletic trainer will supervise the prevention, evaluation, treatment and care of all sport related injuries at various high school sites within San Diego. When necessary, make injury referrals to appropriate medical personnel. Recondition and rehabilitate athletes on referral from physicians through the use of appropriate physical agents and therapeutic devices.
The athletic trainer will update coaches regularly on the status of injured athletes. Assist in the operation of the athletic training facilities. Maintain records and files on all aspects of athletic training operation. Perform a variety of administrative duties in support of the high school program. Help develop and supervise an organized, instruction-based program of athletic training for student interns.
- ‘In Training Room’ hours and ‘At Event Or Practices’ hours will include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
- Possible travel, to assist at away events.
- Detailed, specific knowledge of methods associated with the prevention, evaluation, care and treatment of all athletic injuries.
- Knowledge of sound coaching principles and techniques for a variety of sports as they apply to athletic injury prevention. Knowledge of sound teaching techniques necessary to train and instruct athletic trainer students.
- Knowledge of organizational and management principles as they apply to the development of athletic training operations.
- Demonstrated skill in standard first aid emergency procedures, to include CPR.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact effectively to establish cooperative working relationships with persons of diverse backgrounds and at various organizational levels within and outside the university.
- Skill in oral and written communications to insure clear and effective direction and communication. Skill in organizing and prioritizing work to meet all deadlines and schedules.
Qualification & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Athletic Training or related field.
- Must be NATA-BOC certified.
- Must have current ARC/AHA CPR/AED certifications.
- Certified member in good standing of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association.
- Detailed specific knowledge of the competencies and domains of athletic training.
- Skill in the use of various athletic training room aids (tape, wraps, modalities, exercise programs, massage, etc.) necessary to successful application of the athletic training methods.
Company: University of California San Diego
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A