Website Univision Communications
Univision Local Media is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Assistant News Director for the station’s local multi-platform content production. The ideal candidate must love breaking news and understand how to reach audiences on different platforms best. The position provides editorial direction, leadership, motivation, support and encouragement to staff in the generation of story ideas and production of a compelling news product; sets the department’s philosophy and policies. The Assistant News Director will be a solid leader in the newsroom and be current on news trends for existing and emerging platforms. Works closely with other Univision entities to create cross-platform opportunities for a trusted and award-winning news brand.
- Must be proficiency in coaching reporters and on-air talent.
- Must have a deep understanding of Digital and Social Media platform for best practices for local journalism.
- Responsible for originating, creating and producing for special series, regional news specials and investigative stories with all the news team creates content that is aligned with and enhances station brand; create new content.
- Demonstrates results for the application of innovative and creative approaches to engage the audience.
- This role is also accountable for building capability within the newsrooms to think and act digitally, generating engaging, compelling and timely content that will result in an increase of our digital footprint and ultimately in a growing audience and market share.
- Responsible for executing newsroom philosophy and policies, and its vision and direction;
- Leads editorial meetings and manages the daily flow of content to the station’s various platforms
- Develops and plans yearly coverage priorities for all platforms, as well as “sweeps” for key television rating periods;
- Manages newsroom budget, under the direction of the Vice President of News
- Reviews and critiques newscast production values.
- Proven knowledge and strong tactical training/skills
- Audience growth-oriented
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, newsroom systems, edit bays, cameras, audio board, and decks.
- Proficiency in AVID editing systems, Premiere, Adobe Creative Suite Displays.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms.
- Candidate must be flexible and willing to work varied schedules, including weekends and holidays.
- Proficiency in managing and posting on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other Social Media Platforms
- Proficiency in SEO, SEM, Hootsuite, Google Analytics
- Experience in Media; Broadcast environment a plus
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle competing priorities
- Solid news judgment
- Ensure flawless execution
Qualification & Experience:
- Bilingual with the ability to write in English and Spanish with fluency and accuracy.
- BS/BA Degree in Media, Communications or Marketing or equivalent experience
- A minimum of five years’ experience in television news, working as a news director, assistant news director, executive producer, news producer. Must have experience overseeing daily and breaking news events; ability to focus on news stories, which inform, and highlight the needs of the Spanish speaking community. Must have experience managing operating budgets. Knowledge and understanding of the Nielsen rating system.
Company: Univision Communications
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Sacramento, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A